Generally, no, dogs should not eat chocolate. Why? It turns out that our furry friends enjoy sweets just as much as we do, but some substances we humans metabolize easily are actually very toxic to dogs. In this case its something called Theobromine.
Theobromine is very toxic to dogs, but don’t freak out if your pup accidentally ate a little chocolate. It takes a decent quantity of dark chocolate to hurt a dog. If your dog has eaten any please contact your vet. Your vet will be able to determine how much your dog has eaten and determine by its weight whether you need to worry about toxicity.
Other things that are toxic to dogs:
- Sugar-free candies
- Salmon (raw)
Things that are safe for your dog to eat:
- Cooked Lean Meats (chicken, turkey, fish, pork)
- Bananas (may cause gas in large quantities)
- Cooked Potatoes (sweet or regular)
- Apples (no seeds)
- Collared Greens